In this riveting episode, Jack shares hilarious personal stories illuminating lessons from his life as a forest monk in Thailand.
This episode from Insight Meditation Society on 6/7/1981 was originally published on DharmaSeed.
“The spirit was you just did it, and you worked with whatever came up as your practice. Living the life of a monk meant taking what came to you and working with it, whether it was difficult or easy.” – Jack Kornfield
In this riveting episode, Jack dives into:
- What it was like living as a forest monk in Thailand at Ajahn Chah’s forest monastery
- The wisdom he learned through experiencing Ajahn Chah’s four-part teachings on surrender, opening up to see clearly, working with the mind, and gaining balance/perspective
- The two levels of Dharma practice: using Dharma to feel comfortable, and using Dharma to get free
- Ajahn Chah’s rascally yet direct interactions with students, including one with Ram Dass
- Working with attachments and aversions in order to overcome them and grow spiritually
- Learning how to let go and not get caught in the mind’s lures, traps, and intricacies
Grow spiritually and learn through the transmission of Jack’s favorite stories in a brand new online journey!
“Meditation practice is where you are sitting. It’s not to go to some other place, or have the ideal setting, or have your coffee, or have your quiet little room. Where you are is your practice.” – Jack Kornfield
About Jack Kornfield:
Jack Kornfield trained as a Buddhist monk in the monasteries of Thailand, India, and Burma, studying as. a monk under the Buddhist master Ven. Ajahn Chah, as well as the Ven. Mahasi Sayadaw. He has taught meditation internationally since 1974 and is one of the key teachers to introduce Buddhist mindfulness practice to the West. Jack co-founded the Insight Meditation Society in Barre, Massachusetts, with fellow meditation teachers Sharon Salzberg and Joseph Goldstein and the Spirit Rock Center in Woodacre, California. His books have been translated into 20 languages and sold more than a million copies.
Dive into Jack’s ongoing dharma offerings and transformational online courses on the new JackKornfield.com
Listen to more from Jack:
Tune into Ep. 109 of Heart Wisdom: This Too Shall Pass
Learn about Living with a Peaceful Heart in Ep. 91 of Heart Wisdom
Check out Ep. 90 of Heart Wisdom to learn about Healing Through Loving Awareness
Listen to more Stories That Open the Mind, Mend the Heart and Lead to Joy with Jack Kornfield in Ep.92 of Heart Wisdom
Tune into Ep. 102 of Heart Wisdom: The Wisdom of the One Who Knows
Check out Ep. 1 of Heart Wisdom to gain wisdom on Impermanence
photo via TZIDO SUN