For episode 224 of the Metta Hour, Sharon sits down with Susan Bauer-Wu to talk about her new book, A Future We Can Love: How We Can Reverse the Climate Crisis with the Power of Our Hearts & Minds.
Susan is an organizational leader, clinical scientist, and mindfulness teacher whose lifework has been dedicated to alleviating suffering and fostering well-being through contemplative wisdom. Susan is the president of the Mind & Life Institute and deeply committed to the care of our planet and to policies and personal actions that will ensure a future we can love for our children and grandchildren.
In this conversation, Sharon and Susan discuss:
- Susan’s early career in Healthcare
- Authentic Presence & Compassion
- How Susan connected to climate work
- Interconnection means we’re the problem & solution
- The genesis for Susan’s book, A Future We Can Love
- The meeting of H.H. the Dalai Lama and Great Thunberg
- The Dalai Lama’s history as a climate activist
- How writing the book affected Susan
- The science of climate feedback loops
- How Buddhist teachings help us engage in climate change
- Learning to metabolize difficult feelings
- Being a Bodhisattva of the Environment
- Susan’s vision for the future